Subject: Hypertext editor
From: timbl (Tim Berners-Lee)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 00:08:31 MET DST

Well, this is one of theings we're all hoping is high on Pei's
agenda -- to make Viola an editor too.

Right now, all there is is a NeXTStep editor which was frozen last
summer so is not all up-to-date and bug-free but exists and
we use it but you need a NeXT. Available by aftp from
info.cern.ch in /pub/www/src

You ask, "Where can I find "TheProject.html"? I checked under
/info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW but there is no such path."

I guess you tried the FTP server. Bad news: the ftp server and the
http server serve different things on that machine.
If you want the source, assuming you have the www line mode
browser, just say

 www -source  http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html > junk.html

This will give you an idea of what HTML looks like. Read the document
about what the tags mean, and then edit it to make your own.
For a limited quantity, a text editor on hypertext isn't too bad.
I'm away from home and so using emacs to make a hypertext trip report.
I make it with emacs then check it with  viola. A temporary solution
I know, till we get editors available.

Tim